Thursday, February 4, 2010

Are you broken?

My mother in law had the most beautiful antique chair. Finely chiseled wood revealed that some long dead artisan carefully crafted this chair for an intended purpose. He obviously loved that chair, and so do I.

There is just one problem....one of the arms is broken, literally hanging on to the body of the chair by a thread. But the break is not obvious if you carefully prop the arm up and it only becomes evident when someone tries to sit on it. It has actually become a "show chair" in our home, tucked away in the corner where it can be seen and admired, but not really used.

And so it was with me last week.

I found myself literally hanging on by a thread spiritually. The brokenness in me clearly revealed I was not properly connected to my Lord. Had I only been propped up, not realizing there was a break deep within? Somewhere in the fray of trying to help my Haitian friends, I moved from faith in Him, to faith in me.

Big mistake!

Working in my own strength I began to reason how I could or could not do things. Exercise? Gone, after all I needed sleep and couldn't afford to get up early. Eating right? Gone, throwing restraint completely out one full day. Stopping to seek God's direction on pressing matters at hand? Gone, there just wasn't time, I had to act NOW!

I had moved away from complete dependence on Him. I had moved away from my only "fully funded" place, where He supplies everything I need for life and godliness. (2 Peter 1:3) I had moved away from faith, the only place where I can please Him. ( Hebrews 11:6)

I had stopped hearing the voice of the Shepherd, Who leads me into places of power and strength resulting in fruitfulness. And I had started hearing the voice of the thief who drives me into places of frenzied activity and weakness, resulting in barrenness. I had entered the place where apart from Him I can do nothing. (John 15:5)

God loved me and carefully created me to abide in Christ by faith in His Word and to serve my intended purpose. But if a part of me is broken, "not in my proper place", not connected to Christ, then I cannot serve His purpose and I become nothing more than a "show Christian", not at all useful to the Master.

I finally returned to the place of abiding in Him, by believing in Him. The place where I was meant to dwell, remain and to live. The place of fruitfulness where I prove I am His disciple and where I can glorify Him. (John 15:8) The place were all that is wrong in me is properly aligned with all that is right in Him. I returned to the place where I am properly connected to the body of Christ, once again useful to the Master, serving my intended purpose. Not just a decorative object, sitting in a corner, taking up space, like my antique chair. But a useful tool, a functional tool in His hands, connected to the Source of all power.

Are you broken? Are you disconnected? Are you hanging on by a thread spiritually? How do you stay connected to Him? Share your heart with me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch! Yes it is so easy to do... Get too busy doing "good things" we stop the "best things" and the "right things." I think it is the pendulum swing our post modern culture does; Too wrapped up in "doing good" that we either forget (sin of omission) or reason (sin of comission) not to do right. After all, look what I am DOing!?!? Surely God is pleased with that! (not neccesarily). Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Good post, Debbie. When I go through times like that, I just keep doing what I know is right to do: spend time in the word, spend time in prayer, listen to good teaching, fellowship with other believers (friends). At first it feels like going through the motions, and it may be. But after a while, I am encouraged and God brings me back to the place where I'm really THERE, and not "hanging on the thread" anymore.

Glad He brought you through. You're a blessing and encouragement to me, dear friend!

Love ya!
Chris