Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My 20 year old granddaughter is pregnant and not married. My heart hurts for her. I pray for her. I cannot imagine how she will be able to do this alone.

Her 22 year old sister is also pregnant. Although she is married with a 2 year old, she struggles. Both she and her husband are in a program to overcome their addiction to alcohol.

Some days I look at them and shudder. Some days I think I don't want to live to see the pain this might bring.

But then there are other days when I see a glimpse of eternity and I know that I know that I know, God is at work in ways that I cannot possibly see, or understand, or even fathom. I am caught up in a divine plan, watching it unfold and waiting with breathless anticipation for Him to show up and show off.

When my oldest granddaughter called a few weeks ago to tell me she was pregnant, she said, "Are you mad, Nanny? I was afraid to tell you."

She said that because for months I'd been after her to get her pills refilled. In my human mind, having another baby, at this particular point in time, seemed like the worst possible thing for her.

But God has been teaching me much these last few months...much indeed!

And so when she told me she was pregnant, I simply said, "Honey, here's what I know....God is God and I am not. He knows what He is doing and I do not. If you stay sober, another child is a blessing. If you do not, it will be a tragedy. But I am trusting God, sweetheart, and He will not fail us."

When the Israelites saw the giants in the Promised Land, they came back and told everyone, "Yes, it is a great land, flowing with milk and honey, just as God said it would be. But there are enemies! Huge enemies! Numerous enemies! We will all die if we go in there!"

They were calculating on whether they would be victorious or not by looking only at their numbers, their stature, their abilities. And they made a huge miscalculation, when they failed to take God into consideration.

In fact, His response to them always makes me want to cry, “How long will these people despise Me? How long will they not trust in Me despite all the signs I have performed among them?” Numbers 14:11

Doubting God is despising God.

My eyes are on the Lord, not my grandchildren. My mind is fixed on His strengths, not my weaknesses or theirs. My heart is clinging to His faithfulness, not our faithlessness.

What do you need to trust Him for today? What is too big for you today? What is too hard for you today? What is making you want to scream out that you will die if you have to go through this today? What is making you doubt God is enough for you today?

Let me pray for you now, may I? Lord, today we come to You, knowing You have everything we need. Precious Father, our weaknesses overwhelm us. Our problems threaten to end our lives and those that we love, but we will stand in faith knowing that whether or not we ever see You move, You are at work. You are for us and not against us. You will strengthen us to endure. Our trials and temptations can make us perfect and complete lacking in nothing. Father, we can't do this, but we know You can and Father, this time we are going to let You! Amen

1 comment:

Katherine Spearing said...

Listing God among our assets is a struggle for EVERYONE, me included. Thank you for the reminder to not fear the impossible. With God, all things ARE possible.

Katherine